Santipur College of Nadia district is an institution of higher education of great repute which is recognized by the UGC under section 2(f) & 12(B) since 1.1.1969 and has been assessed and accredited by NAAC with B+ in March 2007.
Established on 22nd July 1948 by a section noted educationists of Santipur under the drive and initiative of the then M.P Pandit Laxmi Kanta Maitra, this college started its functioning at the Kharjala Garden House of Mr. Atal Bihari Maitra and was initially affiliated to University of Calcutta. The journey that commenced in a two storied building on a plot of 47 acres of land, with 48 students and with the aim of spreading higher education has now blossomed remarkably in all fields and disciplines (Science, Arts and Commerce). In the session 2014-2015 the college had 15 departments and catered to the needs of 4690 students.
The college, since 2000 is affiliated to University of Kalyani. The college has a highly qualified staff and the students pursue Honours course in 11 subjects and Major in Computer Application. The college has NCC unit (both boys and girls) with a firing range; NSS unit; a gymnasium; a vast playground, an open air theatre, a huge garden consisting of several teak and mango trees. There is a study centre of Netaji Subhas Open University in the college since 2004 which has currently around 800 students pursuing courses like P.G, U.G, BLIS and BPP.